RUTX50 MiMo 2x2 Antenna

Have read the comments with MiMo 2x2 in regard other models, does the RUTX50 connectors follow the same approach? That is a MiMo 2x2 should connect to the outside connectors, other 2 inside connectors are for higher freq bands with 4x4 etc? Correct?

Hello,

If you’re using 4G, connect to the first 2 ports from the left. If you’re using 5G, use the outside ports.

Here’s a visual guide to the ports and the frequencies they accept: Which antenna to use with a RUTX50? - #9 by tirkiz

However, I highly recommend using 4x4 MIMO antennas because they can be utilized for both 5G and 4G, significantly improving data transfer rates and connection stability.

Best regards,

For 2x2 MIMO (two antennas) you need to connect to the first two SMA ports on the left. Other combinations for two antennas do not work properly.

Since I have been using this RUTX50 for a year with two antennas, I noticed that the Quectel RG501Q-EU modem has a bug with measuring the signal strength on two antennas.
When the base station turns off MIMO at night to save energy on certain bands so that it works 1x1 SISO, then this modem incorrectly measures the signal strength as if the signal has weakened by 10-30 dB.
Because of this, the modem suddenly starts switching between base stations at night, or if there are no others in range, then it fails back to 3G, where it measures a stronger signal than 4G SISO.
The worst thing is if the cell lock is set, then the modem only fails back to 3G.

I’m getting ready to report to Quectel on their forum to get it fixed.

When the base station turns off MIMO to SISO, this modem should measure a signal drop of only 1 dB, not 10-30 dB.
With 4 antennas, this modem correctly measures the signal when the base station turns off MIMO.

5G NSA also works properly on two antennas, if they cover all frequencies, tested by me (with Iskra P-60 MIMO antennas).

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 15 days. New replies are no longer allowed.