RUTX50 and 802.3at/802.3bt POE

To clarify on existing threads/WIKI Content:

The way I read this, 802.3at will work perfectly fine to energize the device, but Teltonika is just bending-over-backwards to emphatically state: "Not 802.3at compliant [in that we don’t forward on the input power to other ports output (as stipulated in the standard??) ] "

It doesn’t’ explicitly state: 802.3at 48vDC input will destroy/damage the RUTX50. It just says “its not supported” (as in not certified/stamped/tested by IEEE?).

However it does say that vintage 802.3af will damage the unit.

The differences between 802.3af and .3at are the wattage available, not the voltage; is that what we’re talking about here? Under wattage condition (due to say, cable length resistance based voltage drop) will damage the RUTX50?

What’s the real unambiguous story: Must the passive POE adapter be 12vDC ?

I’m considering using TrendNet TI-UF11SFP which can deliver 60 watts (~ 1.5 amps?) of 802.3at/802.3bt-DRAFT at 48vDC voltage.

https://www.trendnet.com/langfr/products/industrial/Industrial-SFP-to-Gigabit-UPoE-Media-Converter-TI-UF11SFP

Oh and it prevented me from sharing these two URLs in the original post:

https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/Passive_Power_over_Ethernet_(PoE)

I have a RUTX50 and you DO NOT use 802.3af or 802.3at.

You can power the device via LAN1 port ONLY using Passive PoE ONLY, and if I recall correctly, the RUTX50 will have a maximum power consumption of 18W .

I use a Mikrotik RBGPOE-CON-HP PoE Converter (active to passive). Because of the potential 18W maximum load of the RUTX, I ensure the PoE Converter is powered from an 802.3at switch port.

There is no PoE out on any ports.

I hope this assists you … Mike

Greetings,

Your previously mentioned standards, 802.3af/802.3at, are Active PoE standards that differ in the power they deliver: 12.95W and 25.5W-51W respectively (according to the standards). However, neither of these standards is supported by the RUTX50.

It’s crucial to understand that the RUTX11 only supports Passive PoE input. This means it can solely receive power through its LAN Port 1 and cannot supply power to other devices via PoE. Additionally, it does not accommodate active PoE. Generally, active and passive PoE standards are not compatible with each other.

As Mike correctly pointed out, it’s feasible to use an Active to Passive PoE converter as a workaround to power the device from Active PoE. However, this approach should be approached with caution, ensuring that the supplied voltage does not exceed 50 VDC.

Active PoE actively supplies power to the connected device, regulating and managing power through a series of handshakes between the PoE injector or switch and the powered device (PD). These handshakes negotiate power requirements, ensuring safe and efficient delivery. Active PoE offers precise control over power delivery, supporting a broader range of devices and longer cable runs.

In contrast, Passive PoE simply delivers power over the Ethernet cable without negotiation or active management. It operates at a fixed voltage and current, potentially leading to compatibility issues with certain devices.

In summary, attempting to connect an Active PoE Out device directly to LAN port 1 of the RUTX50 without a converter could result in either damaging the device or failing to power it up entirely.

Best regards.

Okay; Active PoE will damage a RUTX50. I wish that was stated unambiguously, because it isn’t’ entirely obvious based on current documentation.

Also HOPEFULLY a Revision B of the RUTX50 hardware chassis will include full POE support?

Greetings,

As of now, there are no plans for Active PoE on the RUTX50 devices. For the near feature, there are no devices planned with this functionality as well.

Have a nice day!

This topic was automatically closed after 15 days. New replies are no longer allowed.