RUTX10 error message when creating Port Based VLAN pt.2

In response to this closed thread:

I had exactly the same issue with two brand new RUTX10 devices on firmware 07.06.3 … clicking ‘Add’ creates a new VLAN with ID 1, and no way to change the ID number or delete the newly added VLAN without a UI error. Resetting the device works, but there is another way:

ssh into the device…
ssh root@192.168.1.1

…and edit the network config file…
vi /etc/config/network

(google “vi cheat sheet” for text editor commands)

Look for the VLAN config added at the very bottom of the config file (ignore any reference to VLAN configs higher up in the file, they are probably system defaults). You can change the VLAN ID, which seems to resolve further web UI editing conflicts, or delete the VLAN entirely. It will look something like this. This might cause other issues, but it fixed my setup without a reset.

config switch_vlan
	option device 'switch0'
	option vid '1' # change this id value to any other unique number
	option vlan '3'
	option ports '0t '

Not sure if the original thread author @roflas or tech support @Daumantas need this info, but here it is :slight_smile:

Hello,

Thank you! Our developers managed to replicate the issue and fix will be released with 07.06.9 firmware.
For those who are already affected, the fix suggested by @disuye will work to recover the device without a factory reset.

Best regards,

1 Like

Glad to help – I am just a home-level user, so this might cause other issues (pls advise if so)!

I think that the web UI conflict / error arises from the default VLAN ID of “1” being assigned when clicking “Add” … when ID 1 obviously already exists, after which the web UI doesn’t allow you delete or edit the ID #.

I also found that if you create new interfaces from the Network > LAN > Edit [Interface] > Physical Settings page (say, you create “eth0.18”) then try to create a VLAN afterwards (using ID 18) this will also cause a web UI error / conflict. It seems as if the VLAN needs to be created first then attached to an interface afterwards. Which isn’t immediately obvious to someone of my low level bumbling through a home network redo :slight_smile:

I am currently struggling through a home VLAN setup (share guest_wifi & relay guest DHCP over multiple APs using single ethernet cable backbone) and this error / conflict bit me in the ass: Locked me out of my main router, required a user default reset, and eventually get back online.

More digging around … it seems as if the default tag option vid '1' is missing for system default configs, e.g the system created defaults on my RUTX50 are:

config switch_vlan
	option device 'switch0'
	option vlan '1'
	option ports '1 2 3 4 0'

config switch_vlan
	option device 'switch0'
	option vlan '2'
	option ports '5 0'

Whereas my newly created VLAN attempts to assign option vid 1 to user created vlan 3 (for example):

config switch_vlan
	option device 'switch0'
	option vlan '3'
	option vid '1' # assigned when clicking Add in the web UI
	option ports '0t '

This topic was automatically closed after 15 days. New replies are no longer allowed.