Wireguard VPN between RUTX50 (Client) and Unifi Dream Machine Pro (Server)

Hello everyone, I would like to set up a Wireguard VPN connection between a Teltonika RUTX50 and a Unifi Dream Machine (Pro).

The RUTX50 should act as a client and the Dream Machine as a server.

Unfortunately, I don’t understand the configuration of the RUTX50 Wireguard VPN correctly and I need help with which data I have to enter here and where so that the RUTX50 establishes the connection to the Dream Machine.

my current config on the UDM:

Since I am a new user in this forum, unfortunately I can only attach a single screenshot.

Thank you so much for your help and best regards
Benedikt

Maybe I could clarify my question further:

I have the “wireguard interface” on the RUTX50.
There I have a private and a public key and the IP addresses field. What do I have to enter/take over here?

And then there are the “peers”. Under peers public key does the puplic key come from the client configuration of the UDM Pro (Obelix RUTX55)?
Enpoint Host is the dyndns address of the UDM Pro.
I have Allowed IPs 0.0.0.0/0 so that all traffic goes through the VPN first.

Hi everyone,

I stumbled upon this thread while trying to resolve the same issue with my own setup. Like Benedikt, I’m also attempting to establish a Wireguard VPN connection, with the Teltonika RUTX50 acting as the client and a Unifi Dream Machine as the server.
However, in my experience and understanding, it seems that the RUTX50 is primarily configured to function as a Wireguard server rather than as a client. I’m hoping this isn’t the case.
I’m eager to see if anyone else has successfully configured the RUTX50 as a Wireguard client.
As a temporary workaround, I have resorted to using OpenVPN, which is relatively easier to set up and configure.
Also, I wanted to add that, in my understanding, Wireguard is typically used for a single VPN connection and may not be able to route an entire network through it.
I feel it’s important to address why I’d still prefer Wireguard over a functioning OpenVPN setup. In my experience, Wireguard provides a more stable connection, especially for streaming purposes. The overall performance and reliability I’ve observed with Wireguard, in comparison to OpenVPN, are significant, which is why I’m keen to establish a Wireguard connection if possible.

Looking forward to any insights or solutions from the community. I too hope that we’re wrong in this assumption and that there’s a way to make the RUTX50 work as a client in this scenario.

Best regards,
3nano

1 Like

is there no one with the same setup and a suitable solution or with an idea?

Generate a private and public key on the RUTX50 and assign it an IP address within your local network range. In the “Peers” section, add a new peer with the public key from the UDM Pro client configuration. Set the Endpoint Host to the dynamic DNS address of the UDM Pro and Allowed IPs to “0.0.0.0/0” for routing all traffic through the VPN. On the UDM Pro, configure the WireGuard server with the private and public key for the UDM Pro, allowing access to the local network. Add a peer for the RUTX50 with its public key and IP address. Ensure proper port forwarding, firewall rules, and dynamic DNS configuration for both devices. Troubleshoot any issues by checking logs and verifying key matching.

Thank you SO much @marshray → your explanation was the missing link :slight_smile:
Now, the Tunnel ist established and i try to configure the correct Firewall an Routing tables.

In my case, i want to have a specific device (Magenta TV Stick with Netflix on it) to route all Traffic via the Wireguard VPN to my UDM Pro Home Router, to have an “local LAN” identification (Netflix and other Streaming Services on the Magenta TV Stick requires Internet Access trough the home LAN). I’ll come back, as soon i solved this or with additional questions.

Again, thank you very much for this help so far :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 15 days. New replies are no longer allowed.