Wifi tracking Rutx11

Hello,

We have a couple of rutx11 routers and we want to use them also for WifiTracking.
We want to scan for nearby wifi Devices and use the mac adress.
Is there some information and/or documentaion to start with?

Greetings Tjeerd

Hello,

Yes, it is possible to scan nearby WiFi devices with your RUTX11. To get started, I recommend checking out our wiki page about RUTX11 wireless, where you’ll find detailed instructions, configuration examples, and screenshots: RUTX11 Wireless.

Additionally, you can find a wealth of information about your device on our wiki page dedicated to RUTX11: RUTX11 Wiki. If you have any questions about our devices or need assistance with device configuration, I highly recommend checking our wiki first.
If you can’t find the information you need there, you can always try searching for answers on our Teltonika community forum. Many questions have already been answered there, so you may find what you’re looking for without needing to create a new topic.

I hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Hello,

Thanks for the fast respons,
I did a search on wifi tracking in the WiKi and in the forum, did not find anything, maybe i need to search with antother therm. Could someone point me to the corrrect info?

I already found something that is related to it:

The WiFi Scanner provides you with the possibility to scan and collect information about connected devices and surrounding access points. The collected data is sent using the Data to Server functionality.

It scans for Nearby acces points and “Connected devices” i would like to get an overvieuw of surrounding wifi Devices that are not connected to the network. And collect somehow the mac adresses.

Best Regards

Hello,

You’ve found the right wiki page to help you achieve your goals. Just to clarify, you don’t need to be connected to surrounding WiFi devices like access points to scan information about them. Therefore, I believe the WiFi scanner option should meet your needs, as it will provide information about WiFi devices, including their MAC addresses.

Best Regards,

Hello,

I’m not sure if i explained it correctly.

If i understand correctly. The Scanner scans for Connected devices and Nearby Accespoints. For scanning the surrounding WiFi (client) devices like mobile phones that are not connected. it looks like this is not working. Client devices need an probe request to broadcast the mac adress.

I found this usercase Data-driven outdoor advertising by JCDecaux & Teltonika Networks and it looks like what we want.

Kind regards Tjeerd

I.g. it is possible to detect the probing clients (stations). And their MACs. However, in all newer mobile devices, by default, these MACs are randomized, just to prevent real tracking. Thus, i.g. it is not possible any more to track the movement of the device within a building etc. accurately. But, in case you only want to count, this is possible on every openwrt-based router, like the Teltonikas. I doubt, this is a standard functionality of RuTOS. But I have done this on devices running “official” openwrt, so it should be possible on your RUTX11, too, with some custom coding.

Hello,

Thank you for providing the use case. It appears to resemble a WiFi scanner, but I’ll conduct further research to confirm. I’ll get back to you later.

Additionally, one option for scanning devices is to scan nearby Bluetooth devices, which also provides MAC addresses. You can find more information on this functionality here: RUTX11 Bluetooth General Settings.

Best Regards,

This topic was automatically closed after 15 days. New replies are no longer allowed.