TRB500 poor signal with directional antennas?

I’ve been testing 5G NSA network for couple of days without any luck. Like the TRB doesn’t use ext. antennas at all?

  • 14Mbs downlink, 2-14Mbs uplink, no matter what
  • 2 x Iskra P-58 antennas in outmost connectors (left/right). Installed in 3m poler above the roof, standard 10m cables in use. 96cm between antennas
  • Distance 2km line of sight, some forest in between
  • Tried 3 different operators, but I think they have common shared network in my area
  • My neighbor has constant 100-200Mbs downlink from the same tower, with ZTE MC7010. He lives ~150m from my place

First with 4G locked, TRB standard antennas

Then with AUTO network selection. 5G found with poor quality. PING worse, uplink half speed

Last with 2 x P-58 in place. B20 signal is actually weaker:

The cell tower I’m using: Cellular Tower and Signal Map
(Telia & DNA yhteisverkko - 41211 tower)

  • Firmware version TRB500_R_00.07.06.5
  • Firmware build date 2024-02-15 09:40:50
  • Internal modem firmware version RG501QEUAAR12A08M4G_04.200.04.200
  • Kernel version 4.14.328

I get ~120Mbs down with the same SIM card on my Samsung S22

Try only with two Iskra P-58 antennas on the first and second SMA ports, without omni antennas because omni antennas spoil the signal and thus the data speed

The spark P-58 must be at the correct distance depending on the primary frequency, considering that you want to amplify higher frequencies, eg band B3, put the distance between the two antennas 34 cm and then measure the signal strength and speed

I get 360 Mbps speed on RUTX50 with two Iskra P-56 at a distance of 34 cm on 4G (B1+B3+B3+B20/B28), 3 km distant base station

The distance between the antennas that you use amplifies only the band B28 (700 MHz), but the highest speeds are obtained on B1 and B3

Blaah, I’m giving up with Teltonika.

First, I tried to remove two internal antennas and moved P-58’s for 2 first connectors. B20 got much better signal (-77 → -57dBm RSSI, -111 → -85dBm RSSP) but N28 didn’t change at all. Roughly same speed as usual.

I moved the antennas to 34cm apart. B20 lost, B3 got -74dBm RSSI (earlier no reading) and RSRP from -106 to -101dBm. No difference on downlink speed. 5G NSA not visible anymore, so I tested with 4G only.

I tried to move the router by the window with internal antennas. For some reason the B20 is no longer there, even it was on the first tests with internal antennas (first picture in this thread).

Meantime, my phone still picks up >100Mbs constantly from the same tower.

It’s strange to me that the antennas don’t boost the signal, you should have an RSRP of about -75 dB on B1, B3 and B20

I think those antennas are getting in the way of too much forest.

In your spare time, try to play with a different arrangement of the SMA ports, maybe some other arrangement will give better signal results. That’s how it was with me on the RUTX50 where I spent days trying SMA combinations until I found the best one that works, in my case it’s the first and second SMA ports.

If you can, install the free NetMonster app on your mobile phone that shows you the aggregations so we can see what other bands and cells it aggregates (put a screenshot)

You can try setting only bands B28 and B20 in the router and see the results.
If you decide to return the distance between the antennas, put 75 cm for band B20, you may have to stay on lower bands for better signal.

These are things that take a lot of time, experimentation and patience.

The situation is ideal for me, I raised the antennas on an 11 m high pole and I have clear optical visibility towards the tower and that’s why super strong signal and crazy speeds

There has to be something else. I’d understand this if any device couldn’t connect, but my phone gets it in any room.

I tried that app and it looks like this:

It says 5G NSA Disconnected (on 5G DNA, which I use in router), but down is still between 100-150Mbs constantly.
“Elisa” is my primary SIM with ony 4G package, ~30Mbs downlink (which is still double the Teltonika).

NetMonster shows 4 aggregations in use, BW 20+20+20+20 MHz

If you can, scroll down to see the full list of cells/bands it aggregates for DNA.

It didn’t show them until reboot.

(EDIT: Never mind, I mixed 800/700Mhz )

Update: Success!

  • I moved antennas to left & righ side connectors, and removed internal antennas. No luck on speed, but improvement on signals
  • I figured out I haven’t powered off the router for a while, just rebooted from UI. Childish mistake… After power off/on I finally got the speed up. ~100Mbs down, 60-100Mbs uplink.

Now some testing with B20 / B28 and antenna spacing adjustment, let’s see how it goes.

1 Like

Awesome! :+1:

Yes, when changing SMA ports, you must necessarily reboot the router

One SMA combination should give you 4CA immediately after reboot (eg. B3+B3+B1+B20 or B3+B1+B20+B28/N28).
Try to put only 4G and see aggregations and speeds.

It is common to amplify higher bands such as B3 with external directional antennas. B20 and B28/N28 have a long range and do not need to be amplified

B20+B3+B1+B3 achieved with just 4G lock, no antenna changes, holy macaroni!

226Mbs downlink, 53Mbs uplink - new record in this village :smiley:

So 5G NSA isn’t a miracle.

1 Like


Also quite steady connection, average above 200Mbs from public sources (5Gb test file download)

1 Like

I’m glad I helped :smiley:

5G NSA on N28 (700 MHz) has a small bandwidth of 10 MHz and with that you will not get any speeds.

Gigabit speeds advertised by ISPs are only available on 5G NSA N78 (3600 MHz) which has a bandwidth of 100 MHz

This topic was automatically closed 40 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.