TRB500 Bridge Mode or similar?

I use pfSense as the main firewall.
I bought the TRB500 to use as a failover connection.

Previously I used an internal LTE card and the firewall got the public IP directly, and I could manage all firewall rules for incoming and outgoing traffic on the pfSense.
I need to use both incoming and outgoing traffic on the cellular connection.

So how do I set up the TRB500 either in bridge mode preferably on a VLAN so that I can still use the features of the TRB500 such as sending SMS.

Hello,

Thank you for your Query,

Teltonika devices support Bridge mode, but it can be restrictive in terms of how it functions, and it may require setting up a static IP for devices connected to it to reach the router. How to set up bridge mode can be found here Mobile Bridge mode troubleshooting - Teltonika Networks Wiki (teltonika-networks.com).

The better alternative is the passthrough mode and you will start by ensuring no failover is enabled, Secondly, ensure that the LAN has DHCP enabled, thirdly, navigate to Network → Interfaces → Interfaces: MOB1S1A1 and choose passthrough through mode where you will use the mac address of the device that the IP is to be assigned and finally you will have to reboot the TRB500 for changed to take effect. With these settings, you will still be able to utilize SMS utilities.

Lastly, could you please give more information on how you would want to utilize VLAN in the Mobile interface? I am attaching a page that will guide you on where to set up an interface-based VLAN in Teltonika devices as one of the VLANs that our devices support. RUTX11 VLAN - Teltonika Networks Wiki

Best regards,

Kennedy. K

Since the TRB500 has a single Ethernet, My thought was that I could use VLAN to split it up.
In my example drawing I have:
VLAN 15 for management network for accessing the TRB500 management interface, API and other services on it.
VLAN 11 Bridged to Mobile Connection, So Mobile Provider IP is assigned to interface in Firewall and all routing and firewall rules are managed from there.

This topic was automatically closed after 15 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hello,

Thank you for your query,

To achieve this is adding a route for 192.168.2.0/24 on the firewall device (pfsense). For this you will not use Vlans and the TRB500 management interface will be reachable. The route to be added is as follows:

192.168.2.0/24 can be reached via 37.196.94.23 (IP assigned to the firewall) OR via the interface that the TRB500 is connected to. This can be tested with windows by using route -p add destination_network_mask gateway that translates to route add 192.168.2.0 mask 255.255.255.0 37.196.94.23 and route -p add 192.168.2.0 mask 255.255.255.0 37.196.94.23 to make the route permanent.

The second step is to create VLANs for management,

• On TRB500, navigate to Network → VLANs → Interface based, and create a VLAN with any ID. Then create an interface for this VLAN, that runs the DHCP server, and in the physical settings assign the created VLAN interface.
  • The TRB500 will be reachable via the VLAN.

Note : Since you will have multiple interfaces running, you’ll need to specify the MAC address of the interface that will receive the mobile interface IP address on the pfSense firewall.

Best regards,

Kennedy. K