Setup VPN with RUTX12 to use RUTX12 IP address to surf on Internet

Hello,

I am in a country A and I have a RUTX12 in another country B connected to Internet.
While in country A, I would like to surf the internet with the IP address of the RUTX in country B.

Is that possible ?

Thank you

Hello,

Yes, it’s definitely possible and quite a common use case. I would recommend using ZeroTier or Tailscale VPN, as these services don’t require a static public address. In particular, I would suggest Tailscale VPN because it’s very easy to set up and allows traffic to pass through selected exit nodes.

Here’s a configuration example for Tailscale VPN: Tailscale Configuration Example

Best regards,

Hello,

Yes that looks good ! Thank you.
Just a question : Why do we need a third party in this ? Is the use of a third party tool/website mandatory ?
Can’t all my connections just be redirected as long as my VPN is setup between me in country A and the RUTX in countryB and use IP address of B ?

If your RUTX in country B has a Public IP (i.e. is not CGNAT), then you could just set up a Wireguard tunnel to link A to B directly and not use a third party - I use this setup to access video content. With this setup, when I’m abroad (country A), my Public IP presents itself as though I was back at my home in country B, even though my RUTX in country A doesn’t have a Public IP and uses CGNAT.

Depending on whether your Public IP in country B is Fixed or not, you may need to employ DDNS.

If streaming video over a mobile connection, then I’d suggest setting the Wireguard MTU to 1280; as following advice from from a kind person on this forum, I’ve found this to be robust in giving a clean connection.

It should be noted that my router in country B has plenty of upload bandwidth, so is able to happily supply large bandwidth content to the router in country A.

Although I am unfamiliar with Tailscale, it appears to be a VPN matching service using their server(s) as a broker. As Marijus pointed out, the advantage of this is that, it doesn’t need Public IP’s on any of the RUTX’s.

Hi,

As @Mike explained, using third-party tools isn’t necessary. Only VPNs that don’t need a static public IP have this kind of solution. All other VPN are use end-to-end configuration without any provider inbetwee. We have a wide variety of VPNs like this available on our devices:

Best regards,