RUTX50 - Wifi access as primary

Hello,
I d’like to configure my router than in case of having Wifi client connected to Network and get access to Internet, router recognize it automatically and stop using mobile (4G/5G) access as Primary.
I tried to get it via Failover mechanism but seems as not working for me and always Mobile access is prioritized.
Second Question, can we configure it without additional configuration tasks so appearance of Operational Wifi will change routing (metric) sequence and immediately change a path how traffic reach e.g Internet. Obviously, loosing Wifi access we fallback to Mobile access (4G/5G).

Nkemot

I’m not quite sure, if I understood your issue correctly, but ordering failover interfaces in the Network → Failover → Multivan page in your desired order of priority should be all that you need to do. For example:

Also, to ensure proper traffic routing you can add this to each failover interface settings:

Hello,
In essence I did it what you proposed, but seems as not working properly.
I have set mode with proper sequence:

and configure new rule “wifi_first” to force wifi being first before mobile interfaces.
However, seems as the rule doesn’t accept wifi and always come to previous sequence:

I am not sure what i can do more?
Nkemot

Hello,

First of all, make sure that after your router loses the Wi-Fi signal, it reconnects. If it doesn’t reconnect, there’s no interface to failover to, and it stays on the mobile connection.

Additionally, could you SSH/CLI into your device and provide the output of this command:

mwan3 status

This might help understand the status of the failover configuration.

Best regards,

hello, there are outputs:

There is info from topology tab:

I hope it help you.
nkemot

Hello,

From the image, it seems that no failover is configured. Could you configure failover again and run the command mwan3 status again? Additionally, don’t forget to save the failover configuration after configuring it. The save button is at the bottom of the page.

Animation

Best regards,

Hello Marijus,
Thank you, it was a hint, I need to switch interface to participate in failover. Now everything works as expected.
Second question. I 've configured VPN as OpenVPN client (NordVPN service). Can I able to configure such use cases ?

1. Specific destination (host or subnet) should be sent via VPN, rest traffic bypass VPN?
  2. Specific Interface like LANx or create dedicated wireless SSID that if I connect here always trafffic should use VPN in order to reach any destination.
    How to achieve it on Teltonika router RUTX50?
    nkemot

Hi,

It seems you’re looking to route traffic from certain LANs through an OpenVPN tunnel. Here’s how you can do it:

1. In the OpenVPN client, under “Extra Options” add these lines :
redirect-gateway def1
dhcp-option DNS 192.168.1.1

You can find more details about this here: OpenVPN configuration examples - Teltonika Networks Wiki

Best regards,