Rutx50 not going full speed?

I just got my first teltonika device here in Sweden (Tele2) and was going to replace a tp-link x50-5g. However performance tests on the same spot where I get 400-500mbit/s on the x50-5g I get what I would consider 4g speeds around 30-50mbit/s. Moving the rutx50 outside on my balcony I get a slight speed increase to 50-70mbit/s. Both 4g and 5g leds are lit up and the connection is 5g(nsa).

Even if I force the x50-5g to use only 4g I get a higher rate than the rutx50 5g connection.

I’m using the internal antennas on the x50-5g and the supplied antennas with the rutx50. I am about 200 meters from the 5g cell tower…

Please advise,
/–robert

I notice that newer posts than mine are getting answered. Do you need some more additional info from me to troubleshoot or any action that I can try to improve the performance.

If this doesn’t get resolved within about two weeks I need to return the rutx50 to the seller for a refund.

Hi there,

Could you please check your signal quality? Also, could you provide screenshots of the Status → Network → Mobile page and the Speedtest results?

Additionally, do you have any configurations that might affect proper functioning, such as VPNs, firewall rules, etc.?

Best regards,
Marijus

Hi @Marijus !

I have just finished a call to tele2 tech support to verify that the rutx50 is connected to the correct cell tower, which I am.

A speed test gives me UL-37mbit and DL-30mbit this very moment on 5g, but this value fluctuates from time to time. I tried to lock the rutx50 to 4g and got about DL-12mbit.

While the rssi for b3, b7, b20 and n78 fluctuates around -57dBm (excellent) the rsrp values ranges from ‘fair to poor’ and ‘no signal’ with occational ‘good’ and ‘excellent’ values coming and going this suggests that my connection is not so good.

The rutx50 is configured as from factory aside from updating the firmware to the latest version. No added vpn-stuff or firewall-stuff changed as of yet.

Hi there,

Although you mention being just 200 meters away from the tower, your signal quality seems to be very poor in comparison. Please check your hardware to ensure that the antennas are screwed in correctly and tightly.
Do you use antennas that came with a device?

Best regards,
Marijus

I use the supplied antennas per my first post.

While waiting for your reply I actually tested different antenna configurations and it seems like only the two first antenna inputs are working. Taking a single antenna and testing each input I only get a connection from the two first inputs.

Maybe a lose connector inside? Is it ok to open the casing to check the internal connectors?

Hi,

That’s perfectly fine. However, before opening, please remember to unplug it from the power source.

Best regards,
Marijus

Just a thought, although others with more experience may disagree and offer more professional advice.

When i experienced poor download speeds, i noticed that one 4G LTE band had a poor bandwidth (less than 15Mhz) so i banned / deselected that band and the performance of the router increased greatly.

Try temporarily banning / deselecting bands B3 and B20, re-enable B7 if you don’t get an improvement and try again.

In this screenshot, i’ve deselected band B20:

You may be 200mtrs away from your tower but what is in the way (Direct line of sight) such as your own home, other buildings, trees etc?

Soldering looks great and no other obvious signs. I’m unable to close the case with the silicon heatpad since it may have expanded and will get shredded on the aluminium fins.

I found a way to close the case with the headpad.

@akwe-xavante, Comparing to the other 5g-router and my iphone they all use the same bands. My tests confirm that only the two first antenna ports are working. The other two are more or less dead…

@Marijus , do you want me to try other things?

If not, should I contact the seller or do you want to handle this differently?

Hi @roblof ,

If you purchased directly from Teltonika, please contact your Teltonika representative or reseller, and we’ll start the RMA process for you.

Kind regards,
Marijus

@Marijus , I have now been in contact with the reseller, Inet here in Sweden.

In order to speed up the replacement process would you be so kind to send me an email that I can provide the reseller? Otherwise the process may take a longer time due to the nature of this problem.

Regards,
/–robert

Hello,

I’m sorry, but I’m not sure what email you’re referring to. Your reseller should have direct contact with us to resolve any issues.

Best regards,
Marijus

Hi @Marijus ,

Yes I understand. But before Inet will send me a replacement they will have to test the rutx50 and understand the nature of the problem and this will take a bit of time. If I can refer to you and our conversation then this will speed up the process considerably.

Hi,

Yes, you can refer to this conversation.

Best regards,

Marijus

Tnx @Marijus,

Btw, why do you ship only one sim-card conversion kit with the rutx50, since it has two sim-slots?

Hello,

This is standard practice for all our routers that support two SIM cards. Most clients use routers with a single SIM card rather than dual SIM. Those who do use solutions like that usually prefer full-size SIM cards for convenience. To avoid unnecessary product bloating, we only supply a single SIM conversion kit. However, an additional SIM kit can be ordered if needed.

Best regards,
Marijus

@Marijus, I’ve just received a replacement an hour ago and initial test shows that performance seems to be way better. I will be making proper testing the next couple of days.

My sim provider only gives out sim-cards that are nano-sim inserted into a micro adapter that in turn is inserted into a full-sized sim-card adapter. It is very floppy and they may or may not hold together after a couple of ‘conversions’ :wink: