RUTX50 full reset - which data is persistent?

Hi,
I guess it’s valid to ask what is true now when resetting a RUTX50.

It is written here that only SIM-Pin is being kept after a full reset:

RUTX50 Device Recovery Options - Teltonika Networks Wiki.

Whereas I can read here that also logs and RMS connection state data are being kept?

RUTX50 Product Change Notifications - Teltonika Networks Wiki

What is true now?
Does it mean if I sold a device in the past and factory-resetted it, there were still my logfiles on it?
Can someone clarify?

And how to perform a very clean reset today (before RutOS 7.07 wil appear) - without SIM-Pin, logs and RMS data being kept?

Thanks.

Hello,

The latest news as of 2024.03.08 are the most accurate. If you sold devices with only a factory reset, unfortunately, logs on these devices are not deleted.

If you want to reset your RUTX50 with firmware version older than 7.07 and don’t want to retain information such as SIM PIN, RMS data, and logs, you can follow these steps to delete this information:

To delete logs:

1. SSH into your router.
  2. Navigate to the log folder using the command: cd /log/
  3. Run the command: rm log.db
  4. Restart the events log service with the command: /etc/init.d/eventslog restart

To delete the SIM card PIN code:

1. SSH into your router.
  2. Run the command: uci delete simcard.@sim[0].pincode
  3. Save the changes with the command: uci commit
  4. Restart the modem with the command: /etc/init.d/gsmd restart

Regarding RMS, you should simply delete the device from your RMS account, and the connection state will be disconnected.

Let me know if you have more questions or require further assistance!

Best Regards,

Thanks Marija for your quick and high-quality feedback, really appreciated.

However, there’s a few concerns from my side as you can imagine as those remaining data after a (obviously safe and clean) reset process are still persisting and this has nowhere been mentioned except now as Teltonika announces a major security change in an upcoming firmware version.
Previously, it has been communicated that only SIM-Pin will remain but now it turns out there’s way more surviving a reset procedure? Log files, really???

Is there anything else we should know about?
How can we be sure in future, that really everything is being reset when performing a reset procedure according to the documentation?

Does a “Bootloader Reset” wipe really everyting? Pin, logs and RMS data?

RUTX50 Device Recovery Options - Teltonika Networks Wiki

I completely understand your concern, and I apologize for any inconvenience caused by the lack of information regarding RMS and the retention of logs after a factory reset.

After a factory reset, all information and data are reset to default settings, except for logs, SIM PIN, and RMS data. Previously, these were retained for troubleshooting purposes, but with the implementation of RutOS 7.07, all information will be completely reset for enhanced security. I can confirm that with the new OS, everything is indeed reset, and you don’t need to worry about it.

Regarding the bootloader menu, it doesn’t delete logs and SIM PINs like a factory reset, so if you want to delete this information, you should complete the steps I have mentioned before.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Got it - thanks a lot.
And although not optimal of course, I really appreciate Teltonika’s open and honest attitude/communication.
Seeing this nowhere else.
Keep up the good work!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 40 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.