RUTX10 crashes under load

Hi,

My RUTX10 crashes after a couple minutes (between 10-15 min) when I’m continuously downloading files from WAN. After a reboot of the router it works again.

This can for example be replicated when downloading games or updates on my Playstation 4 Pro or Playstation 5. Both are connected with ethernet cable.

My ISP provides me with 500 mbps. I’m on the latest firmware RUTX_R_00.07.06.10.

Hello,

Did this issue start occurring after upgrading to RUTX_R_00.07.06.10 or was there another trigger? Is the issue only happening when downloading PS4 or PS5 games, or does it occur with other files as well?

Kind regards,
Marijus

Yes, I also had this problem on the previous RUTX firmware.
I think I started noticing the issue after upgrading my internet speed from 100 mbps to 500.

It seems to occur when continuously downloading large games or updates (20GB or larger).

Today I tried downloading a 50GB file from https://testfile.org on my Mac. The download maxed out my internet speed during the download and I didn’t have any issues with the router.

So the problem seems to be isolated to when downloading from my PS4 or my PS5. Very strange.

Hello,

Yes, it does seem unusual. However, it appears that the PlayStation (PS) might be the cause of the issue in this case. I would recommend checking online forums, as this problem may be a known issue.

Additionally, could you please clarify if you use Wi-Fi or an Ethernet cable to connect your PS to the internet? If it’s currently connected via Wi-Fi, have you tried switching to an Ethernet cable, or vice versa, to see if the issue persists?

Best regards,
Marijus

To clarify, I’m using both a Playstation 4 Pro device and a PS5 device. Both devices are hardwired over ethernet and have the same issue. I don’t want to connect the devices over WIFI.

I have googled the issue and found a few threads on reddit etc. It seems that downloads from Playstation network overloads certain routers.

If there is no other solution for this problem, is there a simple way that I can limit the bandwidth for only my playstations? I saw that there was a QOS-feature in the router but I couldn’t figure out how to limit the bandwidth for certain devices.

Hello,

Certainly! You can limit download/upload speeds using an additional package called QoS. Here’s how to install it:

1. Navigate to System → Package Manager → Packages.
  2. Find and install the package named “QoS”.

To limit speed for specific devices, you’ll need to assign LAN ports to another separate VLAN network. Here’s a quick guide:

1. Go to Network → VLAN → Port Based.

2. Add an additional VLAN with the first 2 ports set to untagged. Make sure to set those same ports as “off” in the first VLAN. Then, press “Save & Apply”.

3. Next, go to Network → LAN and add another LAN interface. Assign it a desired IP range and click “Setup DHCP Server”.

Then, navigate to the “Physical Settings” tab and select “eth0.3” in the interface drop-down menu.

Now, you’ll be able to select this newly created LAN network for speed limitation in Network → Traffic Shaping → QoS.

Make sure that your PS4 and PS5 are connected to those newly assigned LAN ports.

Best regards,
Marijus

Thank you for the guide, but is it possible to use QOS for specific devices by specifying IP and/or MAC-adress instead of setting up a VLAN?

The solution you posted wouldn’t be practical for me as I have multiple devices connected to the same LAN-port via a switch. The Playstations are connected to the switch but so are also other devices that I do not wish to limit the speed for.

My setup Is like this:
RUTX10 - LAN to a passive Switch - Lan to PS5, Apple TV, PC etc.

Hi,

Sorry to inform you but, there is no simple option right now for this kind of configuration. There are some OpenWRT packages like nft-qos, but they are CLI-based and could be pretty difficult to configure.

Best regards,

Marijus

Ok, I read something about SQM in the teltonika wiki. Would it be helpful in this case? Or does it also limit the bandwidth for all devices?

Hello,

This functionality is included with the installation of the QoS package:

2024-04-15-15-30-56-RUTX50 - Teltonika Networks — Mozilla Firefox

This tool regulates/controls traffic per interface.

Best regards,
Marijus

This topic was automatically closed after 15 days. New replies are no longer allowed.