RUT955 OpenVPN results in unstable network

We have a RUT955 router with a stable mobile connection. To remote access the devices connected to the router we have setup an OpenVPN connection, this is all working fine and as expected.
But when the connection has been made from the RUT955 to the VPN, the office network becomes really slow. Networkdrives become unavailable and remote access to servers drop. The WebUI of the router becomes really slow as well.

The logs of OpenVPN in the webUI display a lot of warnings like these:
Tue May 7 14:06:46 2024 daemon.err openvpn(OpenClie)[5837]: Authenticate/Decrypt packet error: bad packet ID (may be a replay): [ #514698 ] – see the man page entry for --no-replay and --replay-window for more info or silence this warning with --mute-replay-warnings

In the system logs there are varying errors but there are a lot of them as well:
daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[6061]: DHCPDISCOVER(br-lan) no address available

daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[6061]: DHCPNAK(br-lan) wrong server-ID
daemon.info dnsmasq-dhcp[6061]: DHCPDISCOVER(br-lan) no address available

What could possibly be the issue of the severe network degradation?

Thanks in advance,
Rowan

Hi,

Could you please explain how OpenVPN is set up in your network? Maybe you could provide a network diagram to help illustrate it?

Also, it appears there could be some issues with your OpenVPN configuration. Please double-check that all configuration settings, especially encryption and authentication parameters, match on both ends.

Best regards,

Hi,

The problem was most likely in a MOXA which packaged every single byte with a header which caused a very heavy load.

But I still think the traffic is a bit too much on the router, even when the connected devices are idle. Is there a way to see traffic in detail? So I can see what is using the network resources.
I have checked Status > Realtime Data > Traffic but it doesn’t tell me where the traffic is coming from but I can see that there are some spikes in the data usage.

I’m using a 10 GB monthly data plan but I was seeing an average of almost 7 kb/s which would result in over 17 GB per month.

Kind regards