Packet size and right configuration

Hi, I need to ask about packet sizes and about the automatic reboot tool. I don’t know what’s best size for the packets and best suggested configuration of the tools. I have try to find info about the packets but nothing in concrete. Based on of what I’ve had tested reducing too much the packet it makes the connection less stable, but I’m not sure if that’s dynamic or how it goes, I need to know whether it’s better to increase or decrease if there’s an operating limit.

Thanks in advance.

Added a picture for reference, currently packet size (56, the one by default).

Hello,

The main point of ping byte size is that when you ping a host, some hosts support certain packet sizes while others only accept specific packet sizes based on their configuration.

However, if you’re pinging well-known hosts like 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1, you shouldn’t encounter any problems with the default packet size of 56 bytes or other common sizes like 32 or 64 bytes.

Best regards,

Marijus

So it has nothing to do if I digit a higher number in order to make the router auto-reboot at a less let’s say bandwidth transmitted? Or reboot sooner if the connection stops transmitting certain minimum (with a higher number)?

Currently I set it at 85, with the purpose of it gets slow it reboots sooner.

Hello,

The “packet size” refers to the size of ping (ICMP) packets. It doesn’t affect the time or quickness of reboot. Packet size has a minimal impact on transmission speed during auto-reboot. In some cases, if the packet size is too large or unsupported, it can lead to constant reboots.

Best regards,

Marijus

Ok, I’m giving it the right use then, I have noticed that sometimes certain band doesn’t give me the minimum output , so I need to reboot it and change it to the other, so far has worked, is it any better way to do it? I have tested packet sizes with the maximum of 104, but constant reboot, right now I’m in 75 ~ 85 , has work well avoiding those lags that could happend being too prolonged. Any other suggestion?

Again, thanks in advance.

Hello,

Could you please clarify what you mean by “minimum output”? Generally, the packet size isn’t tailored for the specific use case you’re aiming for. Wget might be a better option.

If certain bands aren’t yielding the desired results, you can disable connection to them. Go to Network → Mobile → General, set “Band selection” to Manual, and then choose the desired bands.

Best regards,

Marijus

I can’t locked just 1 band, because it suffers from excessive traffic at some hours so I loose internet. I just need the modem to be rebooted not the whole router, takes way long. I meant that I need a certain minimum of “data passing”. I wanted to corroborate if I was using the tool correctly and what values were ok to ensure a decent internet but not constant rebooting.

I tested small values such as 24, doesn’t reboot and its really laggy I would say. In this case it doesn’t change to the other band.

This topic was automatically closed after 15 days. New replies are no longer allowed.