External siting of RUT241

Hi, I need to externally install a RUT241 powered by POE to provide an ethernet connection for a CCTV system. Wifi is not required for this site, but I obviously need to weather/tamper proof the 241 in some kind of plastic box.
Using the supplied RUT 241 mobile antennae, would the 4G signal be significantly attenuated by the plastic cabinet that it will be sited within ?

Hello,

The impact on your signal depends largely on your cabinet setup. It could range from slight to significant. Depending on your use case achieving a good weather seal against the elements would necessitate a high-quality cabinet/box. Additionally, the RUT241 can only be powered via passive PoE and cannot provide PoE output.

Fortunately, we’ve recently introduced a new device, the OTD140, which addresses all the issues the RUT241 may encounter. It’s IP55 certified, and can be powered and power other devices via active PoE. You can find more information about it here: OTD140 Product Page. It can be mounted as a stand-alone device with no cabinet required for proper functioning.

Best regards,
Marijus

Hi Marijus
Just to clarify, can I power the OTD140 ( or the RUT142 ) using a power injector up a single cat 5e cable, and receive the network signal down the same cable ? ie have power going up and data coming down the same cat 5e cable.
Thanks for you response.
Charlie

Hello,

Yes, it will work this way. One LAN port is POE-in, and the other is POE-out, and both are standard Ethernet LAN ports.

RUT142 is a completely different product and does not support active PoE in or out. It only allows powering via the first LAN port using passive PoE. Here is more about RUT142 powering options: RUT142 Powering Options - Teltonika Networks Wiki

Best regards,
Marijus