Advertisement Hotspot missing in 07.06

I was (legacy web UI) able to create a hotspot in RUT955, where users were able join without any credentials. Then they would be redirected to a URL automatically. I don’t have this option in the newer routers. I wonder, why? How can I create an open Hotspot, where anyone can join and use the internet connection?

It seems that the Firmware is quite buggy too. I see constantly update you firmware notifications, although my device is up to date.
After setting up a Hotspot 2.0, the interface seems to be down (other devices can’t discover it anymore), but Wireless page shows that it is up.

If I enable/disable it under wireless page, the interface is discoverable again but the http/https redirect is not happening. Also the T&C captive is not working and I don’t know where to configure it.

Hotspot 2.0 requires WPA2/EAP but I want to set up a hotspot, which is not encrypted. Users should be able to connect without WiFi password and redirected to a page notifying regarding T&C.
Alternatively, I want the users to click and actively accept these T&Cs.
For some reason, I can’t get this work in 07.06.
In 06.0x firmware the option was much simpler with the advertisement hotspot.

It would have been great to have some sample hotspot configurations to at least try something, that is expected to work.

Hotspot 2.0 is a solution also known as Passpoint and is not what you are looking for. It’s really complex, you need to understand it first, here you can find more information Passpoint | Wi-Fi Alliance (Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Passpoint® Deployment Guidelines at the bottom of the page). Also support for it from different devices is not great so I would not recommend using it as an only way to make public access point, it should be used with fallback to regular Hotspot. As an example you can see here Windows does not support a lot of Hotspot 2.0 (a.k.a. Passpoint) features Passpoint - Windows drivers | Microsoft Learn.

For your use-case you need to use the regular Hotspot and configure Authentication mode set to MAC auth and Enable TOS set to ON. These options will make the user accept Terms and Conditions before getting access to the internet. These terms can be edited in Hotspot Themes. Additionally you can add a custom Success page to which the user will be redirected on successful login (in this case when they accept the terms). Caution about Success page - don’t think that it fully works on Android as they close the Captive Portal window automatically after you get internet. More information about Hotspot configuration can be found here - RUT955 Hotspot - Teltonika Networks Wiki

1 Like

This was indeed the solution. Also it turns out that I did not have a DHCP setup yet.

This topic was automatically closed 40 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.