Suddenly the upload speed (connected via SIM-card) is very slow. Typically when I test speed with the internal function and with Googles speedtest, the download quickly increases and ends at approx 50 Mbps. The upload is for a long time on zero and eventually it increase to maybe 1 Mbps. I have experienced this in several different locations.
Today I swapped sim-cards. I put a sim-card I am using in another router and in the RUTX11 it behaved the same (extremely slow). The sim-card I had in the RUTX11 worked perfectly in the other router.
I have the latest firmware and modem versions.
It was not like this before. Maybe it began after updating the firmware/modem.
Any ideas how to fix this?
You mentioned that it was not like this before. Did you change anything? Maybe you updated the firmware?
Is the issue with upload speed only? Is it the same speeds in different locations?
What frequency bands are used? You can view those in Status → Network → Mobile. You can run a speed test and observe bands simultaneously.
You mentioned that you swapped the SIM card. Is it a SIM card from the same provider? Do you have a chance to try a SIM card from a different provider?
To see if the issue is related to configurations, I would also suggest restoring the device to factory defaults in System → Backup and checking the speeds again.
I have the same problem everywhere (in different parts of Sweden). I use Telenor.
I never have problem with download speed, only upload speed.
I tried the sim-card in my Teltonika router in a D-Link router at the same location. It workd perfectly in the D-Link router. I also tried the opposite with the sim-card from my D-Link router in the Teltonika router and again the upload is not working.
Do you mean that the settings are getting “corrupt” after updating the firmware?
I could try to do a factory reset but then I need to apply all settings again or is it possible to restore the settings?
Best would be if it was possible to only restore some specific settings. Is that possible?
Could you please clarify if the upload speeds ever go above 1 Mbps?
The more configurations you have and the bigger the difference between firmware versions, the higher the chance of migration issues when updating with ‘keep settings’ enabled. Yes, when you reset the device to factory defaults, you will need to reconfigure the device from scratch. What you can do in your case is, download a backup file, then restore the device to factory defaults and check the speeds again. Afterwards, you can upload a backup file to restore your previous configurations. However, before doing this, could you please try the following?
Enabling ‘software flow offloading’ in Network → Firewall can increase the speeds. Hence, make sure this option is enabled.
Ensure that both mobile antennas are properly attached.
Additionaly, please try adjusting the MTU by navigating to Network → Interfaces → Edit mob1s1a1 interaface → Advanced settings → And set a custom MTU. The Values to try are 1460, 1360, 1260.
What frequency bands are used during the speedtest? You can observe those in Status → Network → Mobile. Also, you can check what frequency bands are used by D-Link router, and then lock to these specific frequency bands in Network → Mobile.
Let me know if any of these steps improved your speeds.
Last night I did a factory reset. When testing again exactly the same behaviour. When running both the internal speedtest and Googles speedtest the upload is hesitant to get started. For several seconds upload speed is 0.1, 0.0, 0.15 etc. Usually it ends below 1 mbps. It happens sometime that it increase above one but it is always very hesitant. As I wrote before, this happens at different locations in Sweden and with different Telenor sim cards. I can also mention that different streaming services are not working (Netflix, Allente, Prime etc).
Factory reset did not improve the behaviour.
Now I tested my wifes sim card (from tre) and then the Teltonika router behaved perfectly.
There seems to be a problem with the combination of Teltonika router and Telenor sim card.
The D-Link router works perfectly with the Telenor sim cards.
I will test your ideas regarding MTU etc when I am home tonight but I would prefer not to have to fiddle with settings since this router is located in my RV and is used while travelling (always at new places).
I still think the problems started after updating the firmware or the modem firmware. Maybe there is a need for a new update!
This provides some clarity. Please, try changing the MTU first and let me know how it goes.
I found an interesting article regarding MTU (link below). When I followed the recommendations I came to the conclusion that I should set MTU to 1460. I did, and now it is working perfectly.
Glad to hear that it is working properly now.
The MTU can vary based on your mobile network operator. Some operators utilize even lower MTU values, such as 1260. Ping tests can indeed be used to check the MTU and see what packet size is getting through. Anyway, with the upcoming firmware, there should be changes to how MTU is set on the mobile interface. The device’s ability to automatically adjust the MTU based on your operator’s settings will be improved.
This topic was automatically closed after 15 days. New replies are no longer allowed.