TRB500 admin time format issues

How do I configure the settings so that the ISO 8601 YYYY-MM-DD date format and 24h time are used everywhere?

Inconsistency is an annoyance.

The time formats used on e.g. the following pages are inconsistent and unusable.

• /system/admin/datetime/general “Current system time: 1/6/2024, 6:02:02 PM
  • /status/overview “LOCAL DEVICE TIME 1/6/2024, 6:02:44 PM
  • /system/admin/profiles/config “CREATED / UPDATED 2/1/2023, 1:45:58 PM
  • /services/mobile_utilities/sms_messages/read use the format “Fri Dec 29 20:30:24 2023
  • /system/wizard/step_pwd “Current system time 1/6/2024, 6:15:10 PM

However

• On one of those pages /status/overview page the latest system and network event time stamps are in the desired, e.g. “2023-12-31 10:53:24 Device startup completed”
  • The same is valid for the event logs on /system/maintenance/eventlog/all
  • /system/flashops/general shows “Firmware build date: 2023-11-07 16:10:16”

Here are the firmware details.

Device:     TRB500
   Kernel:     4.14.319
   Firmware:   TRB5_R_00.07.05.4
   Build:      d48a3687a6
   Build date: 2023-11-07 15:10:16

Hello,

Thanks for reaching us.

Please try upgrading to the “7.06.1” firmware file, which may be found at the link below.

https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/TRB500_Firmware_Downloads

Note: Before doing the firmware upgrade we would like you, to take a copy of the device’s backup and troubleshoot file in order to secure a copy of your current configuration.

You can upgrade the firmware on the router following below:
WebUI > System > Firmware > Update firmware > Turn off keep settings option > Upload the firmware

Note: Doing the firmware upgrade without “Keep settings” option ON will wipe out all existing configurations, and device might lose remote connectivity. Therefore, it is advisable to perform the firmware upgrade when the device is physically accessible to you or if you can ensure remote access through RMS or SMS Utilities as backup access.

Second, after upgrading the firmware to the latest, please ensure that the NTP server is properly configured in the device as well.

Alternative option, you can change the Time zone by using UCI commands:

uci set system.system.timezone=‘YOUR TIME ZONE BASED ON’

uci set system.system.zoneName=‘YOUR TIME ZONE’

uci commit system

/etc/init.d/system restart

uci show system

Thanks

Thanks for highlighting the availability of a fresh firmware.
There are some topics I would like a clarification to:

1. Will the update address the inconsistency and unify all dates/times being presented in the ISO format? Your reply did not tell.
  2. When can the “keep settings” option be used and when can it not?
  3. Will the suggested procedure outlined (back up settings / update firmware / reload settings) ensure that the settings saved are compatible with the new firmware version?

If the settings are compatible (question 3) how come that keep settings (question 2) is not suggested?

Updating the firmware actually addressed zero [0] of these observations of the GUI using inconsistent time and date formats.
Did you have any information that the 7.06.1 version should contain fixes?

Hello,

Please be aware that I have tested it from my end and it appears to be functioning well.

/system/admin/datetime/general “Current system time

/status/overview “LOCAL DEVICE TIME

/system/admin/profiles/config “CREATED / UPDATED “Please keep in mind that the default profile time does make changes whenever you have a configuration on the profile, such as creating a new profile or backing up the default configuration”

/system/wizard/step_pwd “Current system time

Hopefully all good.
Thanks

Hi

The question was as follows

The screenshot you sent are just confirmations to the problem reported, right?

So, which setting will enforce that dates and timestamps are presented consistently and in the format I want?

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

Regarding you case actually, there is no issue with the devices that you have indicated; it is only another matter of how it should work. as every feature having different matter state meaning that every feature having a different format that it might be 1/6/2024, 6:15:10 PM ” or “Fri Dec 29 20:30:24 2023 ” depends on the feature.

If you wish to proceed with the timestamps and dates in the format you desire, that will require a Custom Development project. In that case, I would like to advise that you contact one of our sales managers via the link below to move forward with the Custom development method.

Regarding the time zone, the timing is correct, as I tested it from my end as well.

Thanks

In which way do you feel that the following is beneficial over consistency and respecting the user’s preference?

I expect more 2024 than a sub-standard UX and an answer indicating that you suggest that I shall fund some custom development.

Does anyone know how I reach the Teltonika support so that they can log these observations as the defect it is?

Hello,

I’ve created a suggestion for our RnD team to unify the date representation across all UI elements, however, it should be noted that such suggestion may take some time to implement across all services, thus I currently cannot provide a timeline for the implementation.
Thank you for making a suggestion!

Best regards,

And just to clarify, time in the WebUI is represented according to the locale settings of your browser. For example, in Chrome running on Windows, you can navigate to Settings → Language → Set the main language to your local (or any other that uses yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss format) and in most locations of the WebUI time will be represented in 24-hour format:

Best regards,

Thanks.
I hope others will find it a positive change.

[quote=“Daumantas, post:12, topic:3568”]
the WebUI is represented according to the locale settings of your browser. For example, in Chrome running on Windows, you can navigate to Settings → Language → Set the main language to your local [/quote]

Unfortunatelly is a horrible dark pattern to assume that the user’s desired locale (how to present dates, time, numbers etc) is given by the selected language, keyboard layout or other irrelevant factor.

I’m from Sweden.
I live in Sweden.
I always set the locale to Swedish with

• ISO 8601 formats for date and time
  • comma as decimal marker
  • space as thousands separator

… but when it comes to software, operating systems and such I always use English.

If you want to make any assumptions then add a setting to the WebUI where the locale preference can be set and make it the primary assumption that the stated preference is the locale to use.

This topic was automatically closed after 15 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hello @LHH ,

Improvements will be released with RutOS 7.7 release. This will affect the pages you mentioned, as well as some additional ones.

Best regards,

1 Like