RUTX50 - Isolating a WiFi AP and restricting bandwidth

I may need to create a new WiFi access point, not difficult on its own but i will need to isolate it from existing Wireless Access Points and the LAN and if possible i’d like to restrict the bandwidth available to those connected to that new WiFi AP.

Can someone point me in the right direction to achieve this, as it all appears to be a far more complex thing to achieve than i’m accustomed to using Draytek devices in the past?

Hello,

To achieve this, you can follow the steps provided below:

1. Login to the WebUI of the your router and make sure it is on ‘Advanced Mode’.

2. On the newly created WiFi AP, change its Network on a different network, on this case, create a new one then Save & Apply.

On the the newly created interface, configure the LAN IP address for it and make sure it is different from the original LAN interface then enable the DHCP server.

3. Navigate to NetworkTraffic ShapingSQM. Create a new SQM instance then configure it accordingly. Make sure you choose the newly created interface where the new AP is attached to. Save & Apply.

Note that the configuration example is based on the fw version: RUTX_R_00.07.06.1.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Rob

Thank you so much Rob, i will give this a go over the weekend.

Doesn’t look as difficult as i initially thought it was going to be.

Regards

mark

You’re welcome :slight_smile: let us know the results once you’re done configuring the device.

In addition, if you want to prevent the client accessing other users from a different access point, you can create a custom Traffic rule for it. Just navigate to NetworkFirewallTraffic Rule. Then create a new instance rejecting the traffic based on the source and/or destination.

Wiki Link for guide - https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/RUTX50_Firewall#Traffic_Rules.

Best regards,
Rob.

This topic was automatically closed after 15 days. New replies are no longer allowed.