RUTX50 Cannot add additional VLAN's

Hi everyone, I’m trying to setup a trunk connection to some VLAN’s, however I cannot add extra VLAN’s, I keep getting a message “failed to create new configuration”

Firmware version, RUTX_R_00.07.05
Kernal version 5.10.188
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Padraic.

Hello,

As you mentioned, you are currently using the older firmware version (RUTX_R_00.07.05). This might be the cause of the issue you’re experiencing.

To address this, I recommend updating to the latest firmware version (RUTX_R_00.07.06.6), which you can download from here. Once updated, try adding a new VLAN again. Firmware updates often include improvements and fixes that could resolve VLAN issues.

After the update, please check if the problem persists and let me know.

Best Regards,

Hi Marija, I ungraded the firmware last night which seemed to be successful. however I lost the ability to communicate with the router shortly after. I ended up having to factory reset the router to gain access to it. it seemed to have issues with blocking the physical ethernet ports. Can I send you the logs to find out what happened?

Regards Padraic

Hello,

Sure, you can send me the logs so I can check if there is any indication of why you were not able to communicate with the router.

Additionally, please let me know the following after the update and factory reset:

• Are you able to reach and communicate with the router?
  • Was the VLAN problem solved?

Best Regards,

Hi Marija, please find attached a screenshot of the event log.

I have managed to regain access to the router after a factory reset, however I had to reconfigure it from the beginning.
Is it possible to restore it to a good known configuration instead of the factory defaults?

Yes I am now able to create additional VLAN’s.

Regards Padraic.

Hello,

Based on the logs, it appears that you were right in identifying the LAN port as the source of the connectivity problem. However, pinpointing the exact issue may be challenging. It could be due to an improperly inserted or damaged Ethernet cable, or there may be an issue with the port itself causing connection interruptions.

I suggest monitoring the performance of your RUTX50 for any recurring issues with the LAN1 port. If the problem persists, try using another cable or different LAN ports and observe if any changes occur.
If the issue persists and seems to be related to the physical port, you may need to send the device for RMA.

Regarding the reset, I recommend creating a backup file of your device with all current configurations. This way, you can easily restore your settings without manual reconfiguration. Instructions for creating a backup configuration can be found on our wiki page here. (Although the example is for the RUTX14, the instructions apply to the RUTX50 as well.)

Please keep me updated on your progress, and don’t hesitate to reach out if you encounter any further issues or have additional questions.

Best Regards,

This topic was automatically closed after 15 days. New replies are no longer allowed.