RUT240 cannot update due to high RAM usage?

Dear Teltonika Team,

We are trying to update our RUT240 devices from firmware version RUT2_R_00.07.05 to RUT2_R_00.07.06.1. During the update process, either via RMS or via the admin console, it looked like the update was successful, but after the reboot it still displayed the old version. After many tries, some routers updated successfully and some still did not. After some investigations (I couldn’t find anything in the logs), my feeling is that it could be too little RAM space on the devices, as the devices show free RAM of 9MB but the update file is >10MB. So here are my questions:

1. When the device downloads the firmware file, is it saved in RAM?
  2. If the free RAM is smaller than the firmware file, would the update process freeze the device which would cause a reboot, cancelling the update?
  3. Is there another remote possibility to update the devices? Our devices are spread across Germany.
  4. Is it normal that a RUT240 device with 62MB RAM is always consuming roughly 52MB RAM with basically default settings? It is running via 4G and has one device connected to the LAN port. No custom scripts or anything.

Best Regards,
we.digitize

P.s.: We are currently looking into the RUT200 and are thinking about using this model for the future. Our test device has 128MB RAM, meaning there is much more free space than on the RUT240. I guess this update issue would not happen to the RUT200, right?

Hi,

1. The new firmware file is saved in RAM.
  2. While it’s unlikely, there might be rare cases where this occurs.
  3. If needed, you can force a firmware upgrade remotely by accessing your device via SSH. Follow these steps:
  1. It’s normal for this device to consume this amount of memory.

Regarding an upgrade to RUT200, you’d experience fewer issues since it has double the RAM.

Best regards,

Marijus

This topic was automatically closed after 15 days. New replies are no longer allowed.