Routing issues after upgrade RUTX10 from RUTX_R_00.07.03.2 to RUTX_R_00.07.05.4 - Part 2

Issue with the same name was automatically closed over the Christmas break without a solution. Had delivered a troubleshooting on 19/12/2023 file but as of yet no response.

1. Reset to factory setting and reconfigured the router, same issues.

2. Downgraded the firmware back to RUTX_R_00.07.03.2 and reconfigured the router. Router functioning normally again :slight_smile:

Hello Stephen,

I have taken the time to read the previous case on this one. I saw that when you upgraded from 07.03.2 to 07.05.4, things suddenly stopped working.

May I clarify first if, at the time, you upgraded the firmware with ‘Keep Settings’ on?

• The reason for this is that as you mentioned above, when you downgraded the firmware back to 07.03.2, all functionality works again.

• When a user uploads an older firmware version onto the device, all the configurations will be erased.

For now, I would suggest upgrading it back to the latest firmware (RUTX_R_00.07.06.1) without keeping settings.

Note that this would wipe out all existing configurations and will require you to reconfigure again.

I would recommend downloading the backup file first (System → Maintenance → Backup) so that when the issues still occur, you can easily upload the old configuration which can save you time.

Lastly, try analyzing the packets using tcpdump in the CLI of the device and check if certain traffic is getting through or not.

Link for reference:

Best regards,
Rob

Thanks for the response Rob

things suddenly stopped working

external access was fine it was just the internal Lan access and port forwarding that initially worked then started failing. Switched from access via ethernet to WiFi and was working for a while then failed once more (like ports were blocked), wasn’t an always-on issue, seemed to degrade itself, odd.

Pretty sure I would have ticked the keep settings box when upgrading the first time to 07.05.4.

Will do that test using “RUTX_R_00.07.06.1” and reconfigure it while it’s fresh in my mind.

So to confirm if I need to revert to 07.03.2 I can simply install the firmware and then initiate a restore of my current backup and be back to where I started.

Since I have the backup this time I will be able to do a test retaining settings and then a test wiping the settings (later firmware). if both fail then install old firmware and restore backed-up settings :slight_smile:

Hello Stephen,

Yes, if your device is running the latest firmware (e.g. RUTX_R_00.07.06.1) you can upload the backup file configuration with an older firmware version (07.03.2). This way, you will not need to reconfigure it again.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Rob

Hi Rob

Thank you for your suggestion. Some interesting observations.

1. Proceeded with the upgrade to RUTX_R_00.07.06.1 but forgot to uncheck the keep settings. LAN FAILED
  2. Performed Factory reset, device remained on NEW firmware RUTX_R_00.07.06.1
  3. Attempted to revert to 07.03.2, no indication that it was downgrading the firmware just seemed to hang no buttons or progress bars
  4. Since I was unable to go back to 07.03.2
  5. Refresh the browser, login, then performed a Factory reset, device remained on RUTX_R_00.07.06.1 LAN WORKING
  6. Restored configuration as you suggested from 07.03.2 (just taken) LAN FAILED
  7. Performed Factory reset again, device remained on RUTX_R_00.07.06.1 LAN WORKING
  8. Manually reconfigured LAN & WAN WORKING

Stick with that

The strange thing is the button on the firmware upgrade seems to be missing on the UI, you can browse and select your firmware image but then the interface just hangs, with no indication of its uploading or the confirmation to proceed with the upgrade. In this situation, I guess I won’t be upgrading any further on this device :frowning:

[EDIT] Suspect this firmware load issue was around the MTU problem as well, trying it this morning (not completing though) and I can see the progress bar, looks a lot healthier.

Once again thanks for your assistance on this

Hi Rob

I think I found the issue, my ISP documentation tells me if using fiber to set the max mtu on the wan to 1492. As soon as I do this the lan stops working again, file shares fail, odbc database connections fail etc. Went back into the UI cleared the MTU field, saved the config, and voila back up and running again.

One thing to note the backup I took after my successful configuration (before the mtu mod) would not restore. It got to 93% then informed me it was an invalid backup and failed. So much for backups. That’s when i manually removed the MTU to fix the issue.

1 Like

Hello Stephen,

That’s great!.

Regarding the backup file, there may be some factors why backup file wasn’t uploading successfully. But overall, since the router is now running latest FW version - which contains a lot of changes and fixed on previously known issues, I’d recommend downloading that backup file instead for future reference.

If possible, since you did a pretty huge leap on updating the firmware (07.3 to 07.6) I also recommend factory resetting it to ensure that the device will run fresh from previous configs then reconfigure it again (then download the backup file).
Note that you don’t need to do this since the issue has been resolved already. This is just a suggestion :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Rob

Thanks Rob, I can only assume the MTU issue may have caused the restore problem.

Just to clarify the backup was taken from a good running 07.6 version so it should have restored to the same version but who knows? When I have some time (in case I need to reconfigure) I will test the restore process fully if nothing but for piece of mind.

Thanks again for your support.

This topic was automatically closed after 15 days. New replies are no longer allowed.