L2TP tunnel and ping monitor

I recently installed a TRB140 to act as a backup WAN for an attached router. Unfortunately I don’t get a fixed IP address on this LTE link, the telco uses CGNAT - but I have an L2TP connection that does have static IP. This L2TP link, however, is much slower than the underlying LTE. I can buy a faster L2TP link, and may decide to do this in future depending on the stability. At present I will use the native CGNAT LTE connection as my default route.

I want to monitor the static IP address at the end of the L2TP link, to test how stable the LTE line is. If I set up a ping monitor, this gives me a great graph as long as the L2TP tunnel is set as the default route on the TRB140. As soon as I take the default route away, the ping monitor says things are down.

What do I need to do so that the default route remains the faster underlying LTE connection but the ping monitor works appropriately?

Two additional questions:

Is there a way to assign or pass through the L2TP static IP address to a router placed behind the TRB140, like setting up bridge mode for the LTE connection?

Will the TRB140 still answer on 192.168.2.1 when in bridge mode?

This topic was automatically closed after 15 days. New replies are no longer allowed.