Ask a question

1036 questions

1253 answers

1582 comments

895 members

Ask a question
0 votes
asked in Networking by

I recently enabled the SNMP agent on my RUT950. When adding the SNMP Service Settings on the Services/SNMP/SNMP Settings page, I found that if I included space characters in the value entered for Location, then when I selected Save what I had entered for Location was ignored, i.e.

• the previous value was displayed for Location,
  • an SNMP request for sysLocation.0 returned the previous value;

If I entered a value for Location that did not include spaces, it was accepted: being both displayed in Services/SNMP/SNMP Settings  after selecting Save and returned by an SNMP request for sysLocation.0.

As I read the RFC1213 and its references, sysLocation is of type DisplayString, which allows all printable ASCII characters (if not more).

So, my questions is: is there a reason to restrict the value of Location in this way, is it a bug, or am I missing something?

From Status/Device, my RUT950 device details are:

• Serial number 1101410923
  • Product code RUT950MG1XXX
  • Batch number 0065
  • Hardware revision 1307

From System/Firmware, I have:

• Firmware version RUT9XX_R_00.06.00.2
  • Firmware build date 2019-03-07, 13:49:36
  • Kernel version 3.18.44
  • Bootloader version 3.0.1

1 Answer

0 votes
answered ago by

Hi,

Have you tried to set that parameter via SSH?

Via SSH using vi editor you could change it and check if it works with your system.

vi /etc/config/snmpd

In order to edit the file, you have to be in insert mode. Press i

In order to get out of vi, you have to be in command mode. Press [Esc] (the escape key).

Then write one of the following command:

:x   - exit and save.

:q! – exit without saving.

then /etc/init.d/snmpd restart

commented ago by

Thanks. I did that and was able to save a Location string that includes spaces.

The web UI still does not allow me to change it to anything that includes spaces, but it does preserve it if I change other fields on the same screen, so I am able to set it to its correct value and it stays that way.

By the way, I found that it was not necessary to do "/etc/init.d/snmpd restart" for the change to take effect - the new Location is visible from my Mac Book using snmpget without the restart.