479 questions

598 answers

756 comments

448 members

Ask a question
0 votes
asked in Networking by
Hello,

I have a problem with losing the wifi clients connection with RUT240.

The router is configured in accordance with https://wiki.teltonika.lt/view/Wireless. Encryption is WPA2-PSK. If the device connected via wifi is close to the router - say up to 2 meters - the communication works properly. The pings between rut240 and the device, eg a smartphone, work perfectly. If the device moves away from the router (next room), despite the receivers showi a good wifi signal (signal level measured in smartphone or laptop), it seems that the router terminates in the few seconds the connection with the previously connected device. In that case signal status of my connected wifi device in Status->Network->Wireless->Associated Stations is getting weaker and weaker. A connected device still shows a good router's signal level, but no active connection to the router.

This problem does not occur with the RUT950 standing in the same room - for comparison - even with very poor wifi signal the connection is still alive, many meters from the router. Both routers have wifi configured in the same way, both are broadcasting almost the same signal strength, both have the latest firmware loaded (RUT9XX_R_00.05.02.6 and RUT2XX_R_00.01.04.1). I tried some others antennas - with no effect.

Can it be a hardware problem of the rut240 wifi module or rather a problem with the firmware?

Or maybe I can change some settings of my router to improve wifi connection stability?
Why rut240 terminate the connection too fast?

Thank you in advance for any help

Tom
commented by
Hey Tom,

I will check it for you shortly. l assume antennas were fitted to the correct outputs and adequate TX power was set on the wireless radio?

Thanks,

Myky
commented by
Hello Myky,

Antennas were fitted correctly, transmit power is set to 100%.

I've already downloaded the older firmware RUT2XX_R_00.01.02.3, did factory reset - but problem still exist.

Moreover when I scan wifi stations in section Wireless Station Mode (Add) I see nothing with rut240 but plenty of wifi stations when doing the same with rut950.

Tom
commented by
Hello Tom,

I am out of ideas unless you can give a factory reset as a last chance (l don't like to advise this as the next step, but it there is always a chance that it may help)

Thanks,

Myky

2 Answers

0 votes
answered by
Hey Tom,

Do you have access to any MacBook (any model)? I would like you to take a monitor mode PCAP while you few meters away from the router. This will help us to understand on what is going on with the wireless traffic sent by router (we will look for management, controls, data frames and their rates).

Thanks,

Myky
commented by
Hello,

I have no access to any MacBook unfortunately.

Presently my smartphone is lying on the same desk as router. Section "associated station" in wireless status show signal level for my smartphone -81dBm ;-(
3 meters far from router -92dBm...

Smartphone shows wifi signal about -50dBm

Can someone check wifi signal levels in other rut240?

What could I try to do - return the router to the seller because of the hardware problem?

Tom
+1 vote
answered by
Hello,

I did a reset before. Still the same. I am almost sure it is a hardware problem I will not be able to fix myself. What do you think?

Any ideas ?

Thank you for your help.

Tom
commented by
Hi,

Could you check if the antenna connector is soldered correctly ? You would need to unscrew 2 bolts and look at the PCB where WiFi antenna is connecting.
commented by
Hello,

Antenna connector seems to be ok.

Tom
commented by
Is there a lot of other WiFi sources nearby ?

You could also try to enable 40 MHz bandwidth.

1. Go to Network --> Wireless --> General setup and choose Channel manually, channel 5 for example. Save.

2. Go to Network --> Wireless --> Advanced settings and in HT mode select 40 MHz 2nd channel below or above. Save.
commented by
Hello,

Thank you for reply. I've already tried 20MHz and 40Mhz, differents channels, etc.

It looks like receiving circuit in wifi module is not sensitive enough?

Tom
commented by
Do you got any other RUT240 to check if it acts the same ?
commented by
Hello,

I have rut950 - it is working fine.

I think I should email to the seller and ask for exchanging the router now.

Tom
commented by
Well RUT950 has two antennas for WiFi instead on one, but it would be interesting to see if another RUT2XX performs the same.